After a small break, here’s Small Biz Saturday again. Spark of Amber is a small business owned by Julie. She’s run a couple of businesses before, but even she was surprised at how quickly Spark of Amber took off! Here’s her own words on Spark of Amber:
The Story Behind Spark of Amber
I am a work-at-home 30-something mom of 3 children (ages 10, 6, and 2).
I was introduced to Baltic Amber through a friend whose little girl was wearing a beautiful necklace that caught my eye. I asked her about it and she informed me that it was Baltic Amber. I started to research Baltic Amber. Surprisingly, I had never heard of it before, and was not aware of how beautiful it was, or all the wonderful properties of Amber! I was really intrigued, and this is where the idea of Spark of Amber came from. Most websites for Baltic Amber were based in Lithuania, and I wanted to make Baltic Amber jewelry more easily available in the United States.
I founded Spark of Amber in February of this year . We are a VERY new company, but things are going really well so far, beyond what I had expected.
I make sure all our Baltic Amber is tested to be sure it is authentic (apparently there is fake amber out there). Most of my amber takes 20 days or more to arrive from Lithuania, so I am happy to make Baltic Amber jewelry more readily available in the United States. I get really excited every time a package comes from Lithuania.
As far as giving back to the community, I have contributed in small ways such as sponsoring raffles/giveaways on peaceful parenting awareness websites and a midwife awareness week/gentle birth campaign. Our company is new, so I have not had the opportunity to give back as much as I would like to yet. In the future, I hope as we grow, to have charities that are sponsored by Spark of Amber, or certain months where a percentage of our sales go to a good cause. My heart really feels for children in abusive or poverty-stricken situations, so I would like to support domestic adoption, and child-abuse awareness campaigns locally and around the country/world. I also would like to support breast cancer awareness/research, as my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at a very young age.
I know there will be challenges for Spark of Amber as we grow, but I have begun to think about these things and started to plan ahead for growth. My husband is very supportive, which I am thankful for.
Here are some things about our company that are unique:
1. When I started Spark of Amber, I looked for several sources, and decided to work with smaller Baltic Amber sellers whenever possible, to help them support their families. I hope that as our business grows we can continue to take this route.
2. We offer very personalized customer service. I respond to all emails, and personally interact with customers on my Facebook page.
3. At this time we mostly ship within the United States. My goal in starting Spark of Amber was to make beautiful Baltic Amber jewelry more accessible in the United States, without the wait for international shipping. I will ship internationally for Facebook fans who contact me for a shipping quote.
4. Shipping is always free within the United States, and our prices are very competitive. I don’t run Spark of Amber on a “discount code” model. I decided from the start NOT to price my items high, then occasionally offer “sales” of 25% off. I prefer to offer everyone a good price. Our prices for quality Baltic Amber jewelry in the United States are among the best I have seen.
5. I am working on some custom items that will ONLY be available through Spark of Amber, no other Amber jewelry websites. I am totally excited about those, and I have more ideas to come!
Check out Spark of Amber on Facebook. You can also check out the store and see all the new custom items that have been added. These are some gorgeous and high quality pieces. Personally, I’m eyeing the breastfeeding necklace. It’s beautiful!